Assignment 1: Formal Letter of Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Nurul Nadia and I am from your effective communications class. I am writing this to give you more insight into my life.

I am a graduate from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Green Building and Sustainability. I take interest into buildings and I have this habit of talking about them for hours. There are so many things that I find fascinating about buildings such as its collaboration between the design, construction and adaptability of it. Being able to share my knowledge with my peers not only allows me to correct their assumptions about buildings, but also helps me appreciate the craft of construction more.

My strength would be that I am very outgoing and not afraid of taking the first step to speak. I would consistently be trying to find topics to talk about to avoid awkward situations. In hindsight, my extroverted nature is a double-edged sword. I can come across as being intrusive or overly talkative. However, this allows me to make friends with others easily.

My main goal is to leave an impact on someone’s life. I believe that no matter how different an individual is, it is alright to break the norms to be yourself.  This is important because the societal norms are sometimes very unrealistic for some people. In fact, one should always remember to be their true self and not live up to others’ expectations. I hope that this module will teach me how to improve my communication skills so that I may use them to further this goal.  

I would like to better my understanding of professional and academic tone in writing and focus specifically on maintaining coherency in a concise manner. One of the biggest difficulties I face while sending messages virtually is picking the appropriate words to achieve the correct tone. Thus, it is my hope that this module will teach me how to better understand the nuances of these formats.

I am hoping to grow both personally and professionally throughout the course of this module. I am looking forward to learning from my peers and you.

Best regards,

Nurul Nadia


(I have read Dorathy's, Rue's, Atiqah's, Clement's and Junying's blogs on 21 September 2020)

Comments

  1. Thanks very much, Nadia, for this lively intro letter. I'll respond to it with more detail after your peers have commented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nadia, 

    I have just read your letter and found your knowledge on buildings really interesting, hope I can hear more about it from you in the future.

    For your content, I’ve seen that you’ve met the requirements of introducing your strength, weakness and goals. All topics were elaborated with evidence and reason. I like how you related both your strength and weakness with each other.
    The flow of your letter is clear, you formatted your content in a way that is easy for readers to understand. 

    I could notice one grammar mistake:
    "I take interest into buildings..." -> 'into' should probably be 'in' instead.
    Other than that, your language was great. 

    Thank you for sharing more about yourself. 

    Regards, 
    Dorathy 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nadia,

    Thank you for sharing about yourself. I do admire your passion for buildings sustainability that leads you to continue to pursue it as a career.

    In the paragraph where you elaborated on your goals, I do agree that people should be free to be themselves and breakout from the usual. Others may have their idea of what is traditional and what is different, but everyone should be true to themselves and live their lives. No two people are alike, even if they are, they are truly different.

    Moreover, the language of your letter is concise and clear. I do enjoy reading your letter as it seems like you have experienced much in life. I hope that you'll be able to gain the skills you need.

    Regards,
    Nur Atiqah Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nadia,

    Thanks very much for this very well written letter. You do a great job covering the various assignment requirements, and you do so in a clear and complete fashion. We certainly learn a lot about you in this post. For one thing, it's amusing to see that you are so deeply interested interested in buildings that you have the 'habit of talking about them for hours.' I'd like an example of that, just to go beyond the hyperbole.

    It's also heartening to learn so much about your view of your own comm skills, and to hear you break down your extroverted nature. I see that sort of open honesty within class as well.

    The thing in this letter that interests me as well is when you state that you want to 'leave an impact on someone’s life' and the way you connect that to a) being true to oneself and b) your own development. My follow up question is this: How can you actualy make an authentic, meaningful impact?

    Overall, this is a very fine first step in achieving your goals. I'd suggest that you carry on with your enthusiastic approach to both your work and the way that you are defining your presence
    in our classroom. Don't let the others hold you back.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Your comments mean a lot to me and it warms my heart that you took the time to read the introduction and to provide me with your feedback.

      To answer your question on how can I truly make an authentic and meaningful impact, this will be a question which I shall show you the answer to at the end of this module before we sadly part ways.

      I hope that you can walk me through this path during my journey in this module and guide me through to make me realise my true potential Prof.

      Regards,
      Nad

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Assignment 2: Summary on Smart Parking Systems (Draft 2)